Saturday, February 26, 2011

New artwork II: 'rediscovered' specimen drawing

About two months ago, I was cleaning off my desk and found a sheet of vellum paper with an old specimen drawing I had done. This drawing was is of a pair of associated dentaries of the Pliocene fur seal Callorhinus gilmorei. I first presented on this fantastic specimen on my 2007 SVP poster at the Austin, TX meeting.


Unfortunately, I discovered this about three months after my manuscript describing this fossil was accepted in JVP, and there was no way to include it in the published article. To be honest, I could probably do better now, but I think it turned out reasonably well for a journal article figure. In the future I'm going to do a lot more technical illustrations of individual specimens, partly as practice, but also to showcase myself.

Stay tuned! The article will be published in the March 2011 issue of JVP: that's sometime in the next couple of weeks. (Holy god, it's March in only 48 hours!). More artwork is on its way.

Boessenecker, R.W. In Press. New records of the fur seal Callorhinus (Carnivora: Otariidae) from the Plio-Pleistocene Rio Dell Formation of Northern California and comments on otariid dental evolution. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 31:2. 14pp.

No comments: