Sunday, January 6, 2013

US research trip, part 11: more photos from Charleston

I realized that my photos from Charleston did not really include much in the way of candid photos, or photos of us (you know, people). My camera has a narrow field of view and is ill suited for getting 'action' photos. Fortunately, my colleague Tatsuro Ando has graciously allowed me to post some photos he took of the gang and exhibits while in Charleston. Thanks, Tatsuro!


Another view of King Street in Charleston.


Ewan and I enjoying some beer after a long drive from North Carolina. This was my first time eating real barbecue after starting my Ph.D. program, and damn was it good.


Ewan and I looking at the model of the Hunley outside the Charleston Museum.


The pier at Folly Beach, South Carolina - we ate dinner at a restaurant at the base of the pier.


The Sanders' treated us to dinner at a great seafood place in Folly Beach (south of downtown Charleston). I tried shrimp n' grits for the first time - it was delicious. From left to right, clockwise: Rhonda Sanders, Al Sanders, Ewan, Myself, and Eric Ekdale.


Al and Ewan on the Sanders' screened in porch, overlooking the South Carolina 'forest' (better termed jungle, in my opinion).


 The view out into the forest; a few minutes later, a raccoon came climbing by. It was a welcome sight, although it is pretty neat seeing brushy tailed possums here in Dunedin.


After a wonderful seafood dinner, discussions of cetacean evolution, key lime pie, and genuine southern hospitality - and we were ready to take a cab back into town. (From left: Eric, yours truly, Rhonda, Al, and Ewan).
 

A skull of Schizodelphis from the Calvert Cliffs, on display at the College of Charleston.


 A cacophony of mosasaurs on display at the College.


Ewan inspecting some Carcharocles megalodon teeth, unaware of how funny this ended up looking.


Basilosaurid teeth from South Carolina (College of Charleston).


 Desmostylian teeth from the middle Miocene Temblor Formation of California (College of Charleston).

 

To examine fine details of mysticete palates, sometimes you have to get in pretty close. 
Someone else (Ewan I suspect) snapped a pinup-esque picture of me doing this, which has hopefully 
been deleted forever.


A mounted cast of Pteranodon at the College of Charleston.


A Platecarpus (mosasaur) skull and cervical vertebrae mounted at the College of Charleston.


The gang's all here: Tatsuro, myself, Ewan, Al, and Eric in Charleston Museum collections. Thanks, Al, for a great time (and good food!).

Thanks again to Tatsuro Ando for letting me post these photos.

No comments: